The Advising Process at SCU holds these goals in mind as they work with students. In the student-advisor encounters the following knowledge or behaviors should be demonstrated by the student -
1. Know where to go for academic help (catalog, Library, Labs, Registrar, etc.), financial assistance (Scholarships and Financial Aid).
2. Enroll in at least three exploration courses in first 2 years.
3. Enroll in 12-15 hours per semester (12 is the min. for financial aid and sports but more may required to graduate in a timely manner)
4. Successfully complete 18 hours of required core courses during first year.
5. Become familiar with the ‘lingo’ of academics (‘University Speak 101’) and the academic spaces and places.
6. Know the name and how to find a professor that teaches a course.
7. Complete a time management schedule and file a copy with advisor.
8. Complete a “Working Academic Plan” and file with advisor.
9. Know how to read and maximize use of the course syllabus, school calendar, and website.
10. Undeclared students officially declare a major and transfer to an appropriate department/division.