The Department Chair is the academic leader and official representative of the academic department. Under the supervision of the Dean of the School, he/she carries the following responsibilities in addition to the agreed-upon teaching load:
1. Manage and oversee the department’s budget.
2. Supervise faculty members, whether full-time, part-time or adjunct.
3. Review and assist with the evaluation of faculty.
4. Meet regularly with faculty members to discuss issues pertinent to the department and the discipline.
5. Collaborates with colleagues to coordinate teaching and course schedules.
6. Review declaration of majors and certify majors and minors for graduation.
7. Attend all departmental chair meetings.
8. Serve on committees as assigned by the university.
9. Assist in selection and approval of textbooks.
10. Periodically prepare reports for the School Dean.
11. Encourage student organizations specific to the discipline of his or her department (i.e., Honor society, clubs, etc.).
Drafted on: Source: 2014-2015 Faculty Handbook, section 7.04.9