Full-Time Faculty for Sport Studies
POSITION TITLE: Full-Time Faculty for Sport Studies
Southwestern Christian University seeks a full-time faculty who will serve within the Sport Studies programs. The successful candidate will develop and teach courses in face-to-face and online formats. The candidate must also be able to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with colleagues across all disciplines. All faculty are expected to participate in advising and be engaged in campus life. This position is nine‑month contract with flexible summer appointment with the potential for annual renewal. Some travel as well as weekend work may be required.
- Full teaching load that is based on the established faculty workload scale
- Implement current evidenced based practices within course content
- Maintain a vibrant and interactive learning environment utilizing multiple educational venues within their course
- Monitor and coordinate required internship placement of students
- Monitor and coordinate internship educational interactions with professionals in the exercise science field
- Engage students in higher-order thinking and problem-solving skills within the discipline
- Collect and evaluate annual assessments from all internship educational sites
- Continue to research and build wide variety of clinical educational experiences for Exercise Science students
- Work with other faculty and adjuncts in the curriculum and build an atmosphere of teamwork and collaborative learning
- Work with the Department Chair and other leadership to ensure quality learning across the department
- Providing leadership for academic and professional development, and departmental curriculum review/development;
- Developing and maintaining key relationships with affiliating institutions and agencies;
- Providing constructive feedback and assistance to faculty, staff, and students on professional development, performance, and projects;
- Designing processes that increase the representation of diversity within the student body and departmental personnel; and
- Exploring relationships with churches and para-church organizations that advance partnerships and recruiting efforts.
- Other duties within the department, include maintaining office hours, either virtual or face-to face, reviewing and updating curriculum, syllabi, conducting research through presentations, publications, grants, and utilizing the LMS, Canvas, for course enhancement.
Applicants must have an earned Ph.D. with research and teaching experience in Sport Management, Sport Administration, Higher Education Administration or related field; record of significant accomplishments in research; committed Christian who honors Pentecostalism and the Holiness tradition and who is supportive of the educational mission of the university and its heritage. The candidate must have successful academic administrative experience, evidence of the ability to lead strategic planning, and innovatively implement projects and programs, evidence of exceptional interpersonal skills and evidence of a commitment to engagement in the community and to diversity and equity. Candidates with administrative experience and a track record of creativity and innovation in managing a multidisciplinary unit; a track record of external support (i.e. grants/contracts/fund-raising) community partnerships; expertise in motor development and motor learning, experience with interdisciplinary collaboration, and program assessment and accreditation will be given preference. The successful candidate will also possess personnel management skills to build a shared vision that includes sensitivity to and competence with individuals of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Minimum requirements by start date:
• Terminal degree in Sport Management/Administration, Exercise Science, Higher Education Administration or related field; Professional experience and course work towards a doctorate will be given consideration
• 3+ years professional work experience in sports business or sports business-related industry
• Experience in recruiting, development, or other sports-related role
• Creative, energetic, self-directed, focused yet strategically opportunistic
• Collaborative and driven to achieve shared objectives
• Business perspective applied to all efforts-effectively able to manage time and resources to meet stretch objectives
• Organized and high attention to detail
• Experience speaking to large and small groups Southwestern Christian University reserves the right to alter this position's job description/job duties to meet the needs and goals of the institution.
Closing Date of Search
Until the position is filled
PO Box 340
Bethany, OK 73008
$38,000 to $40,000 Compensation is based on earned degrees and in alignment with the university pay scale.
To be considered as a candidate, the applicant must submit the following documents and information:
1. Letter of interest
2. Curriculum vitae and, if available, a teaching portfolio
3. Unofficial Transcripts (if selected for the position, official transcripts will be required)
4. Names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three references
5. Statement of your understanding of the relationship between the integration of Christian faith and your discipline of study
6. Brief statement of personal faith journey and church involvements
Southwestern Christian University is a Christ-centered liberal arts institution equipping students for a life of learning, leadership, and service; integrating faith, learning, and living; and empowering graduates to excel and to positively impact their world for Jesus Christ.
Accreditation and Affiliation
Southwestern Christian University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and affiliated with the International Pentecostal Holiness Church.
Southwestern Christian University complies with federal and state guidelines for non-discrimination in employment.
Posted on Thu, October 11, 2018
by Matt Stephens