Southwestern Christian University is a Christ-centered liberal arts institution equipping students for a life of learning, leadership, and service; integrating faith, learning, and living; and empowering graduates to excel and to positively impact their world for Jesus Christ.
Scholarship • Spirit • Service
Scholarship at Southwestern Christian University is pursued from the perspective of a Biblical-Christian worldview. The integration of faith, learning and living is central to every academic discipline and is led by dedicated faculty members who are committed to academic excellence, the elevation of critical thinking skills, and personal, spiritual and intellectual growth. SCU is committed to:
- Holistic Christ-centered academic excellence
- Embracing change, diversity & emerging technologies to ensure relevance & the establishment of strategic & collaborative partnerships
- Research & inquiry in an assessment & data-driven academic culture
- Being an organization centered on lifelong learning, social skills & servant leadership development
Southwestern Christian University is dedicated to cultivating a Spirit-led environment where students grow in their spiritual relationship with God & their interpersonal relationship with others. SCU is committed to:
- Building a Christ-centered community
- Honoring our Pentecostal Holiness heritage
- Respecting diversity & various Christian backgrounds
- A campus culture where His Spirit & school spirit are prevalent & powerful
Southwestern Christian University is focused on serving both Christ and others. Through the development of servant-leadership SCU empowers graduates for a life of learning, leadership and global impact. SCU is committed to:
- Developing & modeling servant leadership
- Fostering an environment of relevant social- & self-awareness;
- Ethics, respect, & integrity
- Instilling the value of stewardship in all aspects of life
Southwestern Christian University is a private, four-year Christian university located on a beautifully wooded campus in the Bethany area of metropolitan Oklahoma City. Students enjoy all of the benefits the Oklahoma City metro area has to offer while nestled safe in the quiet and friendly suburban community of Bethany, Oklahoma.
SCU was established in 1946 by the International Pentecostal Holiness Church as Southwestern Bible College. In the 1960's, the student population increased and as various junior college programs were developed, the institution received accreditation from the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education. In 1973, the junior college received accreditation from the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (now The Higher Learning Commission) and was approved as a four-year baccalaureate-level, degree-granting college in the field of religion in 1979. In the Fall of 1981, SCU transitioned into Southwestern College of Christian Ministries, selling the old campus once located on 4700 NW 10th and opening its doors at its present location in Bethany. The name of the institution was changed to Southwestern Christian University in 2001 and continues to expand curriculum offerings each year.
Accreditation and Affiliation
- The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association (30 North LaSalle St., Ste. 2400, Chicago, Illinois 60602; (312) 263-0456; www.ncahlc.org)
- The U.S. Department of Justice for the admission of international students (950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20530-0001, www.justice.gov)
- Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (655 Research Parkway, Suite 200, Oklahoma City, OK 73104; (405) 225-9100); www.okhighered.org)
- The State Accrediting Agency for the admission of eligible veterans (4045 N.W. 64th Street, Suite 205, Oklahoma City, OK 73116; (405) 879-9600; www.ok.gov/saa)
- Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation (840 Research Parkway, Suite 455, Oklahoma City, OK 73104; (405) 522-5399; www.ok.gov/octp/About_OCTP)
- General Department of Church Education Ministries of the International Pentecostal Holiness Church (PO Box 12609 Oklahoma City, OK 73157; (405) 787-7110; www.iphc.org)
Students can choose from over nine academic departments divided among four schools: School of Graduate and Professional Studies, School of Arts and Sciences, School of Education and Sport Studies, School of Adult and Distance Education.
Graduate degrees include the Master of Arts in Ministry, the Master of Arts in Theological Studies, and the Master of Arts and Global Leadership.
Adult and Online Studies
A variety of degree programs are available to students both online or through our one-night per week format. The programs offered through this area have flexible transfer options and the potential for earning lifetime and experience credit.
- Nine student organizations
- Twelve intramural sports
- New Dorm under construction on the south end of campus
Southwestern Christian is a dual member of both the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the National Christian Collegiate Athletic Association (NCCAA).
Sixteen collegiate sports to choose from including basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball, cross country, track and field, golf, tennis, and cheer.
Send Mail to:
Southwestern Christian University
P.O. Box 340
Bethany, OK 73008