Living on Campus Leads to Academic Success
Living on campus is a unique experience for every student as it provides an atmosphere where students will be challenged to grow as they build meaningful relationships with their peers. According to a recent study conducted by the Department of Residence at Iowa State University, students who live on-campus have a higher graduation rate compared to their peers residing off-campus. Along with a higher graduation rate, the study found that living on campus during the first year resulted in a higher return rate and an increased improvement of academic performance.
At Southwestern Christian University, the Housing and Residence Life staff is committed to student development, and our staff is equipped to ensure that all residential students are provided with the optimal learning and living environment during their stay on campus. Our Housing and Residence Life staff consists of a Director of Housing (DOH) and Residence Life, two full-time Resident Directors (RDs), nine Resident Assistants (RAs), and nine Resident Chaplains (RCs).
Professional Resident Life Staff
Director of Housing and Residence Life
- Master of Arts, Higher Education Administration - West Virginia University
- Bachelor of Science, Behavioral Science - Glenville State College
Prior to arriving at Southwestern and serving the role of Director of Housing and Residence Life, Seth served as a Resident Director at Glenville State College, in West Virginia, from 2010 – 2013. There, he managed a Residence Hall of 485 students, an off-campus apartment style residential complex of 160 students, and over 40 Residence Life staff members. He was also the Dean of Students' designee to manage the GSC Student Code of Conduct and Judicial Process.
Southwestern Association of College and University Housing Officers (SWACUHO)
Council on Student Affairs (COSA) – Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
West Virginia Association of Student Personnel Administrators (WVASPA) 2010 - 2013
Fun facts about Seth:
- I met my wife when we were both hired as RAs in the same semester, so I always tease the Res. Life staff to, “Look around, because you might end up married to one of your co-workers.”
- My entire lower lip is a reconstruction. It was completely torn off and eaten by an English Cocker Spaniel when I was three because I didn’t listen to my mom when she told me to “Leave the puppies alone…”
- Because of fact number two, I personally keep ChapStick in business, and I always listen to my mother…
Resident Director (LLC & Bell Student Center)
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology and Counseling – Southwestern Christian University
Prior to his current role as a Resident Director, Zack served in the billing/business office at Southwestern for 6 years both as a work-study student and later as a full-time Accounting Technician. Zack also served on the Residence Life staff as a Resident Assistant (RA) during his time as a student and uses that experience to relate to the Residence Life staff he supervises, as well as the students living in the residential facilities that he manages on a daily basis. As an alumnus of Southwestern, Zack has witnessed the recent incredible growth of the university first hand, and he is excited to serve both returning and incoming students during their journey at Southwestern.
Fun facts about Zack:
- I have completed the saltine challenge on multiple occasions.
- I took this job, in part, because I was tired of my wife, who teaches in an elementary school, coming home with cooler stories than I came home with.
- When Seth sent me this bio to edit and contribute to, the first thing that I did was hit ctrl+f and replaced all “Zach”s with “Zack”. That being said, I spell my name with a “k” (and may or may not be a little particular about it).
Resident Director (Glasshouse & Jim Poteet Conference Center)
- Bachelor of Science, Early Childhood Education - Oklahoma Baptist University
Prior to accepting her current role as Resident Director, Wendy served in the Residential Life department at Oklahoma Baptist University from 2013-2016 with her latest position being Assistant Resident Director. Wendy managed two all women's facilities that housed approximately 275 residents combined.
“I’m excited to serve and get to know the students at Southwestern as we grow in a Christ-filled community!”
Fun facts about Wendy:
- An 875 pound horse stepped on my foot and I did not feel a thing.
- For a couple days, three years ago, I tried to find tricks to make myself fall asleep with my eyes open.
- I am a pro at the classic Mario Kart Nintendo game.
Residence Life Student Staff
Learning and Living Center
Holly Bennett - RA
Hannah Lafferty - RC
Jacob Spencer - RA
Sam Raglin - RC
Matthew Driggers - RA
Corbin Austin - RC
Bell Student Center
Dillon Stephens - RA
Steven Gordon - RC
Alaura Prenzlow - RA
Kayla Douglas - RC
Robert Peoples - RA
AJ Leingang - RC
Betsabe Salazar - RA
Olivia Balmer - RC
Jim Poteet Conference Center
Tyler Mcintosh - RA
Dalton Judkins - RC
Taylor Stamp - RA
Kyra Howell - RC