Department of Christian Studies
The Christian Studies Department of the School of Professional Studies, functions as the cornerstone of the Christ-centered curricula at Southwestern Christian University, offering the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) and Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degrees. Within these degrees students select majors in Biblical Studies, Intercultural Studies, Religion, or Pastoral and Youth Ministry.
In accordance with the mission of Southwestern Christian University, the Christian Studies Department's mission is developing servant leaders with a thorough biblical foundation, which along with Christ-like character will enable students to influence their careers, congregations, and culture with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Furthermore, the Christian Studies Department is committed to preparing students for pursuing graduate studies and life-long education.
Department of Christian Studies Student Learning Objectives
• Identify, appraise, and engage critical issues in philosophical, theological, sociological, historical, and
comparative methodologies of the study of religion and contemporary societies.
• Evaluate religion on the basis of the Christian canon (Holy Bible), reason, tradition, and experience and
defend Christianity through a Wesleyan-Armenian theological prospective.
• Explain an apologetic for diverse worldviews of a variety of philosophical, religious, and theological
• Appraise religious texts, tenets, and traditions, and communicate this analysis logically, coherently,
concisely, and clearly, both in oral and written forms.
• Create professional goals in areas of learning and teaching that will be priorities of further study and
inquiry for life-long learning and/or graduate study.